Pick Up a New Hobby
With the New Year comes many a New Year’s Resolution! For some of us that may mean to focus on improving our diet and or exercising more, for others perhaps savings goals are on the horizon. One area where you can add a great deal of satisfaction and happiness to your life is by picking up a few new hobbies! Instead of simply sitting down and watching re-runs on television – not that there’s anything wrong with that! 😉 – try your hand at these seven hobbies that we’ve hand picked. We’re confident you’ll find at least one to pique your interest!
- Reading – Reading is the all-time, most popular hobby. It’s no wonder, as the United States has nearly 120,000 libraries, according to the American Library Association. Here you’ll find a seeming endless variety of books on a similarly endless number of subjects. The best part is, you can check them out for free! If you need a little bit of stimulation to get going, consider joining a book club where you’ll interact with people like yourself, and discuss what you’re reading!
- Gardening – This has got to be one of the most rewarding hobbies out there. From watching something brand new come to life, to providing your own fruits or vegetables, and getting outdoors, the advantages are numerous! There are a variety of ways that you can go with it, depending mostly upon the area that you live in. This website http://www.burpee.com/gygg/growingCalendarNoZipCode.jsp offers a great growing calendar resource which you can use to determine how to get started!
- Podcasts – Have you ever listened to Podcasts before? According to the International Business Times, Americans listen to around 21 million hours of Podcasts every single day! It’s no wonder folks are so hooked on them, the categories run the gamut from arts, business, and news and politics, to technology, sports – even education and kids and family. With podcasts garnering over 2.6 billion downloads in 2014 alone, surely there is something that will interest you. Moreover, they’re a great alternative to the radio during that daily commute or while working!
- Writing – Whether it’s recording a daily diary, or crafting your own short stories, writing can be incredibly fulfilling! Maybe you’ve had an idea in your head that you’ve wanted to get out for a while, or perhaps maybe you just know you enjoy the art. Whatever the case, start by committing to jotting down your thoughts at least one throughout the day.This website also has some fantastic prompts that may be helpful: http://www.writersdigest.com/prompts. Begin with setting aside 15 minutes, then 30 minutes, and so on. At the end of the week, re-read what you wrote and see how you like it!
- Bicycling – Biking is not only a great form of transportation, but it’s also a fantastic hobby to pickup. What’s more, is that it will help you maintain a healthy weight as well! You can make this pastime a two-for-one, if you use it to get out and explore your surroundings. For example, are there some trails you’ve been wanting to explore recently? Perhaps you’ve moved recently – either way, hop on the seat, get out there and start enjoying yourself! If you haven’t been active for a bit, start by doing some light stretches to ensure you don’t injure yourself!
- Programming – If you already spend a fair amount of time online, this could be a great way to set yourself up for some extra income down the line. Coding is what makes your favorite websites what they are, and will always be in high demand. Additionally, there are a number of free resources that you can check out to help you get started. http://www.freecodecamp.com/ is a – you guessed it – free way to work with others to hone your coding skills, and help charities by doing work they will use!